Wednesday, May 1, 2013

3o Minutes alone in the kitchen


It may not sound like much, but 30 minutes alone in the Kitchen in the House of Try Stuff is a lot.  Yesterday, I was blessed with two circumstances: One was that I arrived home 
NOT

with low blood sugar.  The other is that those who were in the house floated away around the time when I went to make a meal (unrelated, I’m sure). I was in a mellow headspace (which is unusual) because my blood sugar wasn’t screechingly low, so I had time to casually think about what I wanted to put together and allow for creativity.  At first, I was uninspired - it had been so long since I’d cooked from a creative headspace that I robotically began with the necessities.  I settled into the process, and relished the chopping, celebrating the lack of urgency and haste around it.  Then new ideas began to spring in.  I began to re-gain the sense of flow that can occur in the kitchen, where the food talks and you listen.  Hands become a conduit for the dance of the foods that want to come together that night.  A small smile spread across my mouth, and I sensed a shy joy bubbling up within me.  I began to dance a little with the food, and intuition took over.  


Before long I was sitting at the table, ingesting a meal that spoke to my senses in a way that a meal I’d made hadn’t done in a long time.  I was re-connecting with flavours that fire off my pleasure and digestion. The simple remembering of what a vinaigrette can do for my satisfaction is enough. 30 minutes alone in the kitchen was enough to make me joyful and reconnected.  

No comments:

Post a Comment